Welcome to Gluten Free in SD (San Diego)
The goal of Gluten Free in SD is to provide useful and accurate information about living gluten free in San Diego. Also included are resources that provide additional information about celiac disease and gluten-free diets. Comments, suggestions, and recommendations are encouraged to keep this website up-to-date and as useful as possible. Please use the Contact Us section of the website – all input will be greatly appreciated.
The following are some of the events that will occur or news items that have been reported within the last month (dates indicate when the information was added). The most recently posted are in red type.
- San Diego CSA Meeting: March 28, 2-4 pm at Rady Children's Hospital Medical Office Bldg. Room 113. We are very excited to have Kimberly Newton, M.D. as our speaker for the meeting. Dr. Newton is a pediatric gastroenterologist at Rady's who is a specialist in celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. The San Diego Celiac Support Association welcomes all to the meeting. Please join us for an enlightening afternoon with gluten-free snacks and fellowship. More info to follow.
Note: For additional research study summaries and articles, see the Celiac Disease Foundation website under Research News, and the Research section on the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University website.
- CDF national conference: May 2nd & 3rd at the Pasadena Convention Center. The Celiac Disease Foundation hosts this yearly conference with reknowned gluten-free experts as speakers, as well as an Expo with over 100 manufacturers of gluten-free products. "It's the place to be if you're gluten-free". Savings on pre-sale tickets ends April 24th. More info.
- GF Blog: The Gluten-Free Girls is a new blog based in San Diego. It is written by the mother of a 3-year-old girl, "Miss E", who was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. 2/4
- New Book by Beth Hillson: "The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten-Free". This book is a reference guide, especially for people who want a good overview of gluten-free living and related issues . . . such as choosing a physician, getting tested, setting up a gluten-free kitchen, understanding FODMAP, dating, dining out, traveling, and more. Beth has celiac disease herself, is the founder of the Gluten-Free Pantry, food editor of Gluten-Free and More magazine, and president of the American Celiac Disease Alliance. 2/2
- Relationships video: NFCA has made a short video of people with celiac disease discussing how they deal with discussing their gluten-free needs to family members and friends. 2/4
- Survey: Cheryl Crawford, a Masters student in the Behavioural Health Sciences Research Lab in Ontario Canada is searching for individuals living on a gluten-free diet to participate her research study. If you would like to participate, find her survery at http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/dmack/amy-thesis/. 2/9
- Melinda Dennis retreat: Melinda Dennis, the dietician who spoke at the recent event "Thriving Gluten Free" in Encinitas, will be hosting a weekend retreat in Santa Barbara in January 2016. The "Maximizing Health and Wellness on the Gluten-Free Diet" retreat will include lodging and food. For more information go to www.deletethewheat.com/upcoming 2/16
(also see "Resources - Cooking" and "SD Resources - Food")
(also see SD Restaurants by Area, Alphabetized List of SD Restaurants, and SD Resources - Food)
- Choice Juicery: Carlsbad. "Everything on our menu is gluten free, dairy free, and plant based." They offer smoothies, bowls, juices, salads, quinoa sushi, banana bread, and more. They use only non-GMO ingredients, 1/31 http://www.choicejuicery.com/
- 2Good2B change: Encinitas. They now have a new format, menu and longer hours. http://www.2good2b.com/site/ 2/27
(also see "Product Updates" and "SD Food Stores")
- Girl Scout cookies: The Girl Scouts are offering two gluten-free options nationwide this year: Toffee-tastic and Trios. They will be sold from now until the end of April. www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/meet_the_cookies.asp
- Nail product: Stacy Carson emailed about her nail wraps called "Jamberry", which she states are gluten-free and latex-free, and "far outlast other cheap nail wraps". http://www.radjams.jamberrynails.net/ 2/5
- Dole GF soups: Dole (of pineapple fame) has recently introduced five varieties of "Garden Soups" that are made from "pure and simple ingredients with no preservatives". They come in PBA-free boxes. 2/2 http://dole.com/GardenSoup
- Krusteaz Gluten Free Flour: "Just had to say how good this flour mix is. NO sugar. Most other mixes have a lot of sugar. They do use a lot of sorghum flour (main ingredient). This flour makes great pancakes!! It may be hard to find. I bought mine at Sam's Club. I have no connection with this company. If they make a great product I want to support them." D. Corbitt to Listserv. 2/18
This website was created by Roxie Johnson and "tech wizard" Ken Loomis using the software program Dreamweaver. Ken Loomis has since passed away, and is greatly missed. This website is not sponsored by or affiliated with any specific group, organization, or company.
Both myself (Roxie) and my then-16-year-old daughter (Karen Lynn Johnson) were diagnosed with celiac disease in 1998. This website contains information I have gathered over the years, and also links to what I consider to be many reputable resources for further information. I am not in the medical field, so please consult a physician before acting upon any information provided in this website.
Back to Top
The information, including opinions and recommendations, contained in this website is for educational purposes only. Such information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. No one should act upon any information provided in this website without first seeking medical advice from a qualified medical physician.